Thursday, April 17, 2014

AHW

Hi, I’m Maia.  I’m one mouse out of the many mice in the forest.  One fall morning I rushed outside to find a light frost that covered the grass.  I knew I shouldn’t be outside.  My mother told me that in the winter all the mouse-bats would come hunt on little mice playing in the frost.  The frost was nice and cool on my fur.  Suddenly, I heard the cry of an angry mouse-bat.  It was like metal scraping metal.  I ran and ran and ran even when my paws hurt. Mom was right.  Mouse-bats sounded very scary.  Just as I got home I saw its right wing sweep by.  After that horrible experience I knew if I wanted to enjoy winter.  I was going to have to practice scampering 10 meters.   I practiced all day under the stars and sun.  The wind was always blowing against me as I ran the 10 meters.  My legs were on fire.  I pumped them up and down racing down the track.  After a few months when the snow started to fall, I was convinced I could do it.  One morning I ran out into the snow and saw a deer-spider.  It’s 8 legs easily scampered towards me.  I wasn’t ready for this.  I was ready for a mouse-bat.  With speed it got me in its mouth and carried me away.  I laid there in the slobbery saliva watching its antlers sway side to side. In no time I closed my eyes and fell asleep.  After what seemed like decades I found myself in a small house.

“She’s awake Marge,” said a voice.

Suddenly a squirrel scampered over to me.

“Who are you young lady,” said the squirrel handing me a berry, “I’m Marge.”

“I’m Maia,” I replied  biting into the berry, “How’d I get here?”


“Oh the spider deer hung you on that branch and while he wasn’t looking I got you into our house,” said Marge.

No comments:

Post a Comment