Wednesday, May 21, 2014

AHW

My mother was as pale as a ghost and as skinny as a pole.  I didn't even recognize her.  She used to be so cheerful, lean and healthy.  Now she was lying in a hospital bed, dying of leukemia.  I stared into her blank glassy eyes, as the doctor came in.

"Hello Anne, and you must be Anne's daughter, I'm Dr. Smith," his voice a little tight, "I have some bad news.  The leukemia is getting stronger.  You have a 10% chance of surviving through the night."

Those words barreled into me so hard, I couldn't breathe.  My mother, had a 10% chance of living throught the night.  When the doctor left, I ran to her side.

"Mom, it's going to be all right.  You can get through this.  I know you can," I said forcing back tears.

She stared into my eyes and said in a soft, hoarse whisper, "It'll be all right.  I will be with you no matter what.  In heaven or on earth."

"But mom, I don't want you to go," I said, tears streaming down my face.

"Ellie, it'll be all right.  If I go, remember 'Life is priceless, don't waste a second because you never know when It'll end'," said mom.

"I can't live without you," I cried.

"Honey," she started.

"Wh-what if you forget about me and dad," I asked.

"Honey, how could I forget you.  You're my baby.  I'll never forget you," she said.

"I don't want you to go," I begged.

"It's the circle of life.  Your born, you suffer, you achieve, then you die," she said.

"I love you mom," I said.

"I love you too," she said.

"Thank you mom," I said.

She closed her eyes and never woke up again.  I cried until I felt like I had no more tears to cry.  She was my everything.  She gave me life, she even saved me, by giving me one of her kidneys when my kidneys collapsed.  "Thank You" could not describe how thankful I was to have a mother like her.

1 comment:

  1. That story is very detailed ...but sad. What is leukemia by the way. Very interesting and it also pulled me in!
    ~Aria

    ReplyDelete