Tuesday, April 21, 2015

AHW

I stared down the turf near the track as the last 1600m runner jogged past the finish line.

"All 100m runners down here," yelled a grumpy old man, walking down the field with the support of his walker.

We knew from previous experience that he had quite a temper.

"Boys go back there," he barked, "I said boys go back there!"

The boys quickly and quietly walked to the corner of the track.

"Ok now girls over here," he scoffed.

Suddenly, an immense, gust of wind, blasted towards us.  It was no south wind.  It felt like it was winter again.  I waited shivering for the old man to start lining up the 6th graders.  Why in the world did I take off my coat so early.  I was only wearing 2 tank tops and shorts.  Then, the rain started drizzling down on us.  Great.  It was raining and we were being tossed around by the cold, icy wind.  I huddled with the other BCS 100m 6th grade girls to keep warm.  Finally, it was the last heat of 7th grade girls.

"You guys move up," he yelled.

I was very confused.  Why put 6th graders up against 7th graders.

"Get ready," the old man yelled.

To my confusion, there were no starting blocks.  Some of the girls still got into the position.

"Not yet," he yelled.

The girls scampered to their feet.

"Take you marks," another man holding the starting gun declared, "Get set."

Bang! the gun rang.

I sprinted down the track towards a tiny white flag.  The world around me became a blur and all I could concentrate on, was the teensy white flag that marked the end.  It got closer and closer.  With one more stride, I was past the finish line.  I saw a timer go over to Marlena and tell her that she got 15.56 sec.

"Well would you look at that," my timer exclaimed, "15.56 sec!"

I was handed the stick with a 2 on it and reported my time to the timing table.  No bad for my first track meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment